Coronavirus: 10 things to do differently when working from home
In light of the speed in which the virus is spreading, Boris Johnson has urged everyone to avoid unnecessary social contacts and to work from home where possible.
The Advanced Workplace Institute (AWI), part of Advanced Workplace Associates (AWA) – a firm with 28 years in managing remote teams – has released a series of tools to help organisations manage dispersed workforces. In addition, the Institute is offering advice to those people who will find themselves working from home in the coming weeks.
10 things to do differently
- Spend time socialising with colleagues when you’re apart – stay in touch with what’s going on in their lives to build cohesion and closeness.
- Make your activities visible to colleagues – they can’t see you physically, so make sure they know what you’re doing and if you need support.
- Jointly agree how to run virtual meetings and always use video to see how people are and how they react – we need more feedback when we are apart.
- Take responsibility for maintaining relationships – find out what colleagues need & share what you need – don’t leave it to chance.
- Overtly demonstrate you can be trusted by delivering on your promises – trustworthiness is more difficult to judge when you’re apart.